The right to Public Housing in Portugal happens when the citizen, for various reasons, is unable to have enough income to buy or rent a property. We call this type of housing Social Housing.
Through the “Portal da Habitação” we can find various information regarding the process of assigning Social Houses. This program aims to promote housing solutions to people who do not have financial resources or live in unworthy housing as a result of not being able to bear the cost of housing with the proper conditions.
Unworthy housing conditions include:
- Precariousness (eg, domestic violence, insolvency);
- Unhealthy and insecure;
- Inadequacy between housing and the special needs of residents (eg, accessibility conditions).
This program is available to any citizen, the interested parties must complete, and submit, the form available on the “Portal da Habitação”. In this form, various information is collected for analysis. The application is valid for 1 year, after which the citizen must renew the application if he/she remains interested.
Despite being Social Housing, income values may be associated, but not as high as in the private sector.
If you are able to pay your own rent, you will need to enter into an urban housing lease. This can be concluded with a fixed term or for an indefinite duration, and in the contract with a fixed term the parties may agree that, after the first renewal, the lease has an indefinite duration.
Documents to be provided,
- Citizen and household identification data (citizen’s card, identity card, passport or other, tax identification number);
- Value of gross monthly income;
- Scanned Social Report, if available.
- Valid identification document (Passport or document that replaces it, Identity Card, Citizen Card and Residence Permit, for example).
- tax identification number (TIN),
http://www.portaldahabitacao.pt/pt/portal/Arrendamento/index.html ou junto do GAH – Gabinete de Apoio à Habitação