You can enter and stay in France for up to 3 months without any special formalities.
Citizens of the European Union and members of their families must acquire the right to stay in France, within 3 months of their arrival, in order to be able to settle there permanently. A European national automatically enjoys freedom of movement: he therefore enters French territory without having to present a visa, the simple presentation of a valid identity card or passport is sufficient.
European nationals therefore obtain the right to stay in France in 4 different situations:
- Right of residence because he exercises a professional activity;
- Right of residence as inactive (eg retiree for example);
- Right of residence as a student subject to fulfilling three conditions;
- Right to permanent residence.
Documents to be provided: valid ID or passport
Registration fees : free
Duration of residence documents: 5 years
For more info:
3939 Allô Service Public Cost: 0.15 € / minute + price of the call (Ministry of the Interior.)
Monday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Wednesday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Friday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Responds to requests for administrative information concerning rights, obligations and procedures to be taken in certain areas:
- Labor law in the private sector
- Housing and town planning
- Consumption, competition, product safety
- Legal, civil or criminal proceedings- Droit de la famille, des personnes ou des successions
- Droit des étrangers, des associations ou l’état civil